Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Saab 9-3 convertible microswitch?

Our 2001 Saab convertible is suffering from "soft top failure." After verifying that the hydro fluid was filled, I looked for microswitches. I found one on the driver's side above the two hydraulic rams that should engage just as the top is going into the boot well. The small aluminum lever that "rides" one of the moving parts seems bent to hell and is not/could not be engaging the switch. Figuring this is my problem... I CANNOT remove the switch to replace (bending back seems impossible without breaking). With the 5th bow up from outside the car, I've been able to access the retaining bolt with a 3mm hex/allen wrench, but the bolt itself bottoms out into one of the support bars before screwwing out completely. Is there a better way to access this bolt... too many struts/bars in the way. Seems like trying to get at it from inside the car means removing a lot of stuff.





I know this is very specific... but I've already seen a lot of helpful Saab/top info here.





Thanks in advance!


Bryan

Saab 9-3 convertible microswitch?
A 2001 9-3 and a 2007 9-3 are two totally different body styles and convertible tops.





The switch should be able to be bent back into place without breaking it, otherwise to replace it you need to dismantle some of the brackets which isn't an easy chore.





What is happening to the top? is the 5th bow not latching to the cover?





Sometimes the 5th bow latch motor stops working and will not latch or will stay latched even when the 5th bow is open.





I recommend taking the car to a garage that has a Tech2 scan tool that has SAAB software and have the scan the soft top for codes instead of guessing, guessing cost more money.
Reply:Okay, Saab has posted on the web a way to replace this. I only know the answer to this since my neighbor owns a 2007 Saab Convertible and has the same problem (Saab has a recall on this). Here is a link to a PDF which tells you step by step how to do it (Click on the second choice on the Yahoo search) - good luck with this:





http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0ge...





I should have mentioned, this service bulletin I posted is for the 2000-2001 model year. Thanks for catching my mistatement Sweedish_Auto - although the friend is 2007, the bulletin I am referencing is 2001. I agree that if the PDF looks too compliacted, a service shop is your best bet.



tanning

No comments:

Post a Comment