Sunday, October 11, 2009

How do I get into Snowboarding?

I want to start out snowboarding as my son (7) is hooked. We went up and he tried it and loved it and now we need some snowboards.





What type is best for beginners like us? Of course I'm not going to be shredding it up, I just want to keep up with the kids and have fun going down the mountain.





Do I get Stiff? Narrow? Soft? Wide? What's best for a beginner?





I don't want to invest a too much money but want a good ride of course. What's most important? Boots? Bindings? The board itself?





I looked at Solomon, K2 and Burton. Advice is appreciated!

How do I get into Snowboarding?
For a beginner you want a softer flexier board, as it will be more forgiving and easier to turn and control.





I would look at the entry level boards by Burton, Rome, Gnu, Roxy, Forum, and Ride.





Solomon and K2 make good gear too.





For kids, I would go with a Burton. Burton puts a lot of money and time into the development of their kids lines compared to other companies.
Reply:There are a ton of great brands out there (including all the ones you listed!!!), but I wouldn't necessarily say you should go with a big brand name, especially since you are both just beginning and you don't want to invest too much money. Keep in mind that prices generally reflect the brand.





A few entry-level brands that come to mind include Ride, Lamar, Head, and Limited (LTD). They are reasonably priced and good quality entry-level boards. You'll definitely want comfy boots so try on as many as possible!! People generally favour metal instead of plastic bindings... although this is sometimes a personal preference.





Snowboard length is based on your height, weight, and the type of snowboarding you will be doing. A general rule of thumb is that the board should stand between your chin and nose when set on its tail. The snowboard width is matched directly to your foot size. Riders who are heavy should look for stiffer boards and lighter riders will want a board with a softer flex. Some entry-level boards weigh a ton - try to avoid this as much as possible.





Hope this clears up some of your answers! :) Good luck and happy snowboarding!



maintenance repairs

No comments:

Post a Comment